FAQ Parents & Carers
We know that in the current situation, you and your children will have a lot of unanswered questions! This aims to address the most common questions asked by parents and carers.
1. Will transition days go ahead as planned in July?
Unfortunately, the planned transition days will not go ahead. We know that most of you will have visited us on open days but, for some children, our first on-site meeting may be in September. We know it’s not the same but we will send out a transition booklet which aims to give our new starters some information and reassurance. Much of this information is already posted on our website.
2. What will the situation be like when children start back in September?
We hope that, providing government guidance indicates that it is safe to do so, school in September will be as normal as possible. However, we cannot predict what their guidance will be. We can, however, guarantee that we will follow the guidance in order to ensure the safety of the entire school community.
3. Will KTC still receive all the information they need about my child before they start?
Yes. All schools have well-established systems in place to safely share information about young people in their care. Detailed documentation will be received by us from your child’s primary school which will allow us to prepare to positively receive your child in September. As well as this, KTC also requests information on your child’s strengths and needs directly from you as via an online form so we get as much information as we can to ensure your child the best possible start.
4. Where can I find information about uniform and equipment?
Our website has a full description of what KTC students are expected to wear and bring to school.
5. What about the forms I’ve been sent?
These can be posted or dropped in at our reception from 9am - 3pm Mon-Fri. We understand that this might not be possible for everyone and reassure you that not receiving the forms before September will not affect your child’s place at KTC.
6. My child is entitled to free school meals. How do I set this up at KTC?
Information on how to set this up will be posted out to you and put onto the website shortly.
7. How can I help my child to feel less anxious about starting at KTC?
Some of the things you could do are:
- Read and discuss the transition booklet with them.
- Give your child time to ask questions and share worries they may have with you so you can talk things through together. This BBC Link has useful videos and tips to support or start these conversations.
- Look together at the map of the building so you can reassure them that there are only a few places to learn at first!
- If possible, practice the journey to school.
- Help your child to organise their uniform and equipment and ensure it’s labelled.
- Encourage them to reach out to peers they have good relationships with who are also coming to KTC.
If you are worried, can’t find the information you need on our website or need support with anything, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Telephone: 020 8300 7112